Northern Valley Regional High School
Professional Learning Consultant Request For Quote
Posted October 6, 2017
Northern Valley Regional High School is seeking a professional learning consultant to support the district Technology and Learning goals for the two district high schools (NV Demarest and NV Old Tappan). The initial engagement will commence in November 2017 and continue through June 2018. Quotes must be received via email no later than November 10, 2017.
Quotes/Proposals/Questions/Inquiries may be directed to Ms. Joanette Femia, Business Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 201-768-2200 x12100.
The selected consultant or consultant team must demonstrate experience and expertise in the following areas. Please include in response consultant and/or team members’ resume, associated references, and example work created prior that illustrates the following:
- Demonstrated expertise in implementing positive school change and understanding that change is a process not an event.
- Demonstrated expertise in assisting schools to implement personalized blended learning and proficient in providing/devising personalized learning strategies for all types of learners following these definitions from NJDOE :
- Personalization or personalized learning — Instruction in which the pace of learning and the instructional approach are optimized for the needs of each learner. Learning objectives, instructional approaches and instructional content (and its sequencing) all may vary based on learner needs. In addition, learning activities are meaningful and relevant to learners, driven by their interests and often self-initiated. It may include a diverse variety of educational programs, learning experiences, instructional approaches, and academic-support strategies
- Blended learning — Learning occurs online and in person, augmenting and supporting teacher practice. This approach often allows students to have some control over time, place, path or pace of learning. In many blended learning models, students spend some of their face-to-face time with the teacher in a larger group, some face-to-face time with a teacher or tutor in a small group, and some time learning with and from peers. Blended learning often benefits from a reconfiguration of the physical learning space to facilitate learning activities providing a variety of technology-enabled learning zones optimized for collaboration, informal learning, and individual-focused study. (Source: National Educational Technology Plan, p. 8, http://tech.ed.gov/netp/)
- Student-centered learning — A wide variety of educational programs, learning, instructional approaches, and academic-support strategies that are intended to address the distinct learning needs, interests, aspirations, or cultural backgrounds of individual students and groups of students. (Source: The Glossary of Education Reform, http://edglossary.org/student-centered-learning/)
- Differentiated instruction — Differentiation is responsive teaching rather than one size fits all teaching (Tomlinson, 2005). Teachers proactively plan varied approaches to what students need to learn, how they will learn it, and/or how they will show what they have learned in order to increase the likelihood that each student will learn as much as he or she can, as efficiently as possible (Tomlinson, 2003, http://differentiationcentral.com/DIis.html)
- Expertise in using technology to create authentic assessment opportunities for students
- Knowledge of alternative assessment practices such as mastery-based learning, asynchronous learning, digital portfolios, open classrooms, etc.
- Proficient in the use of most hardware & educational software and proven ability to help teachers implement them in a classroom setting in innovative and exciting ways
Related Goals and Objectives:
The engaged consultant or team will focus their work to support the below key goals and objectives as established by the school district and revised in January 2017. Full Vision, Mission, Goals, Objectives can be read at: http://tech.nvnet.org/wordpress/?page_id=8
All teachers and students will continue to expand personalized learning experiences through the utilization of technology while demonstrating ethical resolve, integrity, and responsibility.
B. All learners will expand the learning experience through collaboration within and beyond the classroom.
C. All learners will demonstrate an increase in communication, collaboration, creativity, critical thinking (4C’s).
A. All learners will engage in learning opportunities beyond traditional structures of school and school year.
B. Teachers and students will utilize various digital resources to share and create beyond the traditional classroom setting.
Support a community of prepared, confident users of technology through personalized professional learning opportunities.
B. Teachers will use department meetings, learning communities, professional learning, peer observations, and online professional learning networks to inform how to best integrate technology.
C. Teachers will learn to support students in their implementation of technology to support 21st Century Learning.
Technology shall be integrated into classroom instruction by providing personalized and blended learning experiences to students and staff to enhance student achievement, engagement and well being.
A. Teachers will engage in learning experiences to elevate current teaching and learning that are interest based and personalized.
B. Teachers will engage in professional learning experiences to effectively and efficiently use technology tools to increase student achievement in the 1:1 environment.
E. Provide teachers with training and software for real time formative assessment data during class to be used to differentiate instruction and group students that need extra support.
Scope of Consultant’s Work:
- Allow for video recording of all presentations or sessions at the discretion of NVRHS, to be made available to staff later for internal NVRHS use only.
- Provide one full day remote video planning session with key NVRHS staff (administrators and technology) to discuss and plan the programs outlined below.
- Provide one full day in-person professional development workshop in Demarest, NJ, date to be mutually agreed upon, to Administrators, Supervisors, Instructional Coaches, and Teacher Technology Mentors, and selected teachers with the following objectives:
- Review and discuss NVRHS provided definitions of personalized and blended learning.
- Review data that demonstrates how student achievement can be increased via personalized learning and blended learning approaches.
- Focus on staff who hold views that tend to work in contrary toward incorporating technology into their teaching.
- Highlight how blended learning can support communication, collaboration, creativity, critical thinking via sample student activities.
- Highlight best practices of other high schools of similar size and socio-economic area that have used technology for students to engage in learning opportunities beyond traditional structures of school and school year (e.g. evenings, summer programs).
- Highlight best practices that demonstrate students using digital resources to share and create beyond the traditional classroom setting (e.g. student independent projects that leverage technology) with a focus on moving staff toward “M&R” on the SAMR continuum.
- Provide two full day on site coaching visits, one in each school, dates to be mutually agreed upon and scheduled consecutively, that entails classroom walkthroughs and a same day debrief with administrative staff, followed by written feedback to summarize each visit and make recommendations for improvement. The written feedback should focus on recommendations to staff for moving to “M&R” on the SAMR continuum.
- Provide two one-hour remote presentations (one in each high school building, Demarest and Old Tappan) to provide teachers and staff with an overview of software tools that can be used for real time formative assessment data during class to be used to differentiate instruction and group students that need extra support. The presentations should include focus on “M&R” on the SAMR continuum.
- Provide 8 remote video engagements during scheduled department meetings, dates and times to be agreed upon, to focus on blended-learning models. These engagements may include content such as:
- Presenting 4-6 key ideas to support learning that is based on student interests.
- Providing feedback to NVRHS teachers sharing technology integration exemplars.
- The engagements should include focus on “M&R” on the SAMR continuum.
- By June 2018, make detailed follow-up recommendations to key NVRHS staff (administrators and technology) to build upon work related to personalized and blended learning. The recommendations should be geared toward the long range plans to meet the learning technology goals and objectives and include recommendations for specific measures of progress toward each goal in place. The recommendations should be based on the specific culture and program at NVRHS as observed during the engagement.
Include in quote itemized costs for time and travel. Also include resume(s) of all team members, associated references, and example work created prior.