We, at Northern Valley Regional High School District, provide an environment in which each student seeks answers to questions, challenges assumptions and develops self-worth. Out high schools encourage individual academic excellence, aesthetic appreciation and moral integrity. Recognition of academic and cultural diversity promotes mutual respect and acceptance.
We provide a framework for the immediate and future concerns of our students. Such provisions require a constantly critical reevaluation of curriculum and course design to keep abreast of global research and new techniques within our respective disciplines. We promote students’ respect for learning and their desire to acquire knowledge through traditional, as well as appropriate technological, means.
Education requires a shared commitment. Therefore, the responsibility of the community is to support and complement the school’s philosophy and goals. This joint commitment of students, professional staff, Board of Education and community forms the basis for a challenging and effective program.
Northern Valley is a truly comprehensive high school offering something for everyone. There is a tremendous selection of elective and academic courses.
Mr. Matthew Spatz, Director of Guidance
In providing a thorough and efficient education, our goals are to:
• Impart knowledge.
• Teach subject matter.
• Promote honesty.
• Act ethically.
• Act morally.
• Promote mutual trust and respect.
• Develop the ability to cope with and learn from failure as well as success.
• Encourage a love of learning throughout life.
• Communicate clearly and accurately.
• Foster critical thinking and problem solving.
• Enhance our status as a comprehensive high school by encouraging students
to acquire a breadth of knowledge.
• Provide a learning environment in which each student can develop to potential.
• Provide a supportive environment for the exchange of ideas.
• Define and test assumptions and ideas.
• Help students understand their roles in the twenty-first century.
• Encourage students to become contributing members of society.
• Foster an appreciation and understanding of multi-cultural and multi-ethnic diversity.
• Understand the function of technology.
• Advocate participation in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
• Foster participation in community service and activities.
• Encourage the effective use of time.
• Promote esthetic appreciation of the visual, performing, literary, and practical arts.
• Develop the skills necessary for leading a responsible family life.
• Encourage a commitment to the practice of responsible
citizenship in a democratic society.
• Appreciate beauty in the world.
• Create an awareness of career, vocational and academic opportunities.
• Develop the knowledge and attitudes that promote and maintain personal,
as well as public, health, and social concerns.
• Encourage the protection and preservation of the environment.
• Prepare students for their places in the global network.
• Incorporate technology as an appropriate teaching method.
• Develop and expand communication skills through the acquisition of
• Provide a staff of specialists in appropriate areas.
• Provide alternative learning programs to accommodate all students’ abilities and needs.